Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stop the Negativity and Find the "Power to Change"


By Linda Juranich- ACE Certified Personal Trainer


Recently I was faced with the challenge of pulling a person out of an emotional ditch and motivating her to be the best she could be. For a trainer that should be an easy task. Trainers are trained to encourage and excite people to be the best they can be through teaching exercise and good nutrition. But this person was extremely distraught due to lack of positive body image and self esteem. She was overweight and couldn’t see clear of a way to shed the extra pounds.

There’s a lot to be said about the psychology behind the motivation to become healthy and fit. It starts with the “between the ears” self talk that goes on when a person is overweight and struggling.

What makes a person get to the point when they are ready to make a change? How does one get to the crucial moment, the deciding factor that pushes a person to the point of committing themselves to working toward changing their body, their health, their life?

As an overweight kid growing up in an Italian household, the idea of dieting was eating one loaf of bread instead of two. Emotionally I felt defeated. Although I now look back at the Italian traditions with heartfelt memories, at the time I wanted to hide under a rock with my bowl of pasta in hand. There was no help in site with regard to losing weight. No remedies that I could grasp onto that would transform me into a thin young lady.

Like many others, my avoidance of committing myself to a weight loss plan was directly related to low self esteem, hating myself, my body image and the number I saw every time I stood on the scale. Where do I begin? The perception of losing weight and the struggle of the challenge frightened me and convinced me that it would be torturous. I was afraid of failing!

Human nature can be our worst enemy! It’s our ally when defending ourselves from pain and humiliation. A person will avoid facing the challenge of becoming fit until the pain of living in a fat body far outweighs the pain of the discipline of loosing the weight.

The crucial moment of change, “getting pushed to the edge” happens at different times for everyone. Usually the red light goes on because you’re afraid of gaining more weight and becoming bigger than you already are. Or maybe it’s seeing yourself in a photo and realizing how big you look, not fitting into stylish clothing or becoming a candidate for one of the many health risks that are attributed to obesity. The breaking point for me was that I refused to hit the 200lb mark and at that time in my life it wasn’t too far away. So, the real question is……..what is the trigger that will push you to the point of the crucial decision to change? It’s different for everyone, but the time inevitably comes.

Isn’t it easier to focus and commit from the beginning in order to avoid the pain of not committing at all. Consider how much time is lost by avoiding a situation and not giving yourself the time you deserve for you! Why is self discipline so difficult when it comes to taking care of our bodies and our health? We are disciplined enough to go to work, school, do our homework or take care of our homes, families, pets. So….why do we put off “being the best that we can be?”

Honestly, one of the main ingredients for losing weight and becoming fit is what’s going on between your ears! In your head! All the negative self talk; “I’m too fat”, “I can’t do it”, “nothing will work”, “where do I begin?” Sound familiar?

Well, I’m here to tell you that the first step, once you’ve reached the point of wanting to change, is to wipe out all of the negativity and start believing that you can do it! By retraining the voice in your head to say, “I can exercise and lose weight”, “I am on a solid diet plan that I enjoy and trust” and most important “I deserve the time to create a fit, healthy body” you will have the power to change!

The idea of accomplishing any goal can be overwhelming. In order to be successful you have to want it……and then begin by focusing on other accomplishments in your life. Try to recall the way you felt at the time you accomplished that goal, how it motivated you and the confidence it gave you. Write it down in a journal and apply those positive feelings to your goals to become fit. Refer back to your journal every time you feel all the negative self talk in your head.

You will see that over time you will turn your self defeatist attitude into a positive, supportive, appreciative attitude that will open the doors to a new healthier YOU! Don’t wait another day!

I hope you will take this first step! And keep in mind that I am always here to answer questions, provide motivation and support and help you take that first step to “being the best you can be”. You deserve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment