Saturday, June 6, 2009

20 minute fat burning workout!

Good morning.

I just got back from a great kick a@@ workout and I wanted to share it with you. I have to admit, yesterday my eating was not so good. It was a rainy, gloomy day and I was home all day....which is not good for my diet! I didn't eat terrible, just too much because I was around all day. The key for me is to get out, so the food is not always in my face. The bottom line is, healthy food has calories too.

So, that being said, I decided I needed to get out and work this morning! I was going to go for my typical 3 1/2 mile run, just to get out and get moving. However, once I got out, I changed my mind.

We have this awesome hill in town, which for most, is challenging to just walk up. It's is perfect for me because it's about 3 minute slow run from my house--the perfect warm up. That's what I did. Ran to the hill deciding on my way there what kind of workout I was going to do.

The workout kind of just happened for me and this is what I did:

Workout:

warm up 3 min jog
Hill sprint 25 secs
walk down 30 secs

*Repeat for a total of 8 sprints

That is usually my workout, but it's amazing what a bad eating day can do-- so I decided to continue as follows:

Walking lunges up the hill (40 total or 20 each leg) ......OMG, talk about a burn!
walk down
Repeat for a total of 3X

Cool down by running home.

I have to say, it was a great workout and it only took me 20 minutes. I even had time to go home, get my dog and walk her into town for coffee and bagels (for the kids, of course!). She is recovering from ACL surgery, so it's baby steps for her! NOT that she'd ever be able to run with me anyway (you can see in her photo--not a runner!), but we love our walks.

This type of workout is sooo much more efficient, as well as you burn way more fat, than the typical 30-45 minutes on a treadmill or whatever your machine of choice. So, get out and find a hill or someplace that will challenge you and push yourself! You don't have to run, but make sure you challenge yourself. Put an end to long, slow cardio for once and for all. It's only 20 minutes of your day......You just have to do it!

Please comment and let me know what you think.

For more interval type training workouts, check out ==> http://Tinyurl.com/offdl4

Have a great workout and an awesome day!

Rachel
http://www.losefatlivehealthy.com/



2 comments:

  1. Hey Rach,
    You're an ispiration! I took your advise and did sprints up my driveway this morning. You all should know that I am not a lond distance runner like Rachel but I can do sprints. This morning I started working out in my basement gym when I decided to take it outside. After all the rain and nasty weather we've been having I just wanted to breath the fresh air and be in the sun. I started by sprinting up my driveway. My driveway is a hill so it was a challenge. I walked down and sprinted again. I did a set of pushups after the sprints to hit my upper body. After the 4th round I decided to lunge up the hill, then side shuffle and broad jumps. After 10 rounds I not only destroyed my lower body but burned a substantial amount of fat! I didn't waste hours on a cardio machine and my dog Daisy got a workout as well (she needs to lose a few!)
    Take Rachel's advise....."20 minutes of interval training and put away long, slow cardio once and for all!"
    Thanks Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So have to try this at the gym tomorrow-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete